Saturday, January 8, 2011

Riding in Colorado


On January 1st 2002, I was skiing the backside of Winter Park. Being News Year Day, the slopes were empty, not a soul around. there was a light snow fallen, and it was just beautiful! I can not come up with the words to describe how I felt at that moment, but I felt God was there with me. I felt like that this is what heaven must be like. In that moment, I said to myself, "I'm never leaving this place". Two days later, I was informed that we were moving to Florida, and by May first, I was sitting in my pool home in Florida.
As I sat there in my pool home, I contemplated all the thing that I wanted to do, and never got to do. So after 8 years, 2 months, 27 days and 7 hours later, we are back in Colorado. I do not plan on letting that happen again. From motorcycle rides, to hiking to climbing 14ers and skiing. There is so much to do and see here, not the man made shit of Disney World, but the world that God has created. As far as I'm concerned, man can't even come close.
It is early January in Colorado and contrary to popular opinion, we do ride all year round. Although the riding days are not as numerous as in Florida, but we do get our days in. The last couple of days of been excellent for riding. Granted it was not the 70's that they get in Florida, but it was around 50. Of course we are expecting snow on Sunday, but hey, if you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes, it'll change
So, we met at the local gas station, five of us in all, and headed out. Although the weather here is nice, the mountains get snow all the time from October until May, so we stayed to the front range. We headed down to the Castle Rock area, riding around that area and made our way to Franktown. The ride was nice, but it is never about the ride it's about the being.
There is a feeling you get when you are riding. When in a car, you are IN the car, but while riding, you are part of the scene, one with the environment. You are in the scene! The chilled air hits your face. The smells of wildflowers, fresh cut hay, and animals as you pass by just feel your senses. You are not just looking at the scenery through a windshield, but you see it, smell it, and feel it! you are one with it.
Yesterday, about an hour into the ride, we stopped in the middle of nowhere on a country road. And there, to the southwest of us stood Pikes Peak. I envisioned what the the first settlers must have felt, crossing the great plains, an endless sea of grass for hundreds of miles, and then BAM, the Rocky Mountains! just standing there so majestically. I just felt in awe. We stood there for about a half an hour. The others were taking pictures of themselves and laughing and joking. I felt they had no idea of where they were and the beauty that they stood in.
There are so many wonderful things to see and do here. Around every turn or bend in the road or the trail there is something wonderful to see. From the animals, to the flowers to amazing vistas. And so we move on to the next adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment